Saturday, May 21, 2011

Find the Future!

I'm at the NYPL main library! It is 4am! This is super cool but I am fading. Only a few hours to go!
It has been an amazing night though.

I feel like I'm in a gigantic large study hall with 500 passionate nerdy students!
The game works like this--
We are on different teams both working on the same goal.
1. We need to find items and scan them on our phone. This unlocks something online.
2. Now we answer the prompt that ends up being text for our book!

I unlocked Virginia Wolfe's diary. She committed suicide so is that why I was asked to imagine and write about the best day of my life?

Another fun one was a jazz related piece. Then we were asked to rewrite one sentence in 10 ways!

The game is downloadable on your smart phones.
The library is going to continue to have 100 amazing items (ranging from The Declaration of Independence to Malcolm X's briefcase)!
More info here

I really feel my brain slowing down but other highlights are
1. The onsite book binder.
2. The tour of the library stacks which is usually closed to the public.
3. The personalized postcard from the future that was written in relation to our entry.
4. The variety of intense ppl (typing away to meet deadlines) and quirky ppl (attacking the cheese platter in the break room).
5. The fact that I get to pull an all-nighter in the library!!
6. Jane McGonigal is super cool and genius enough to imagine a game like this!
7. Getting to break normal library rules :)

Find out what we are up to by following the #findthefuture hashtag on Twitter
Photos to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment