Wednesday, May 11, 2011

How to Stand More

because our bodies aren't built for sitting all day!

Trendy health article themes I've encountered lately include-
"How Sitting will Kill You"
"Fidgeting your way to Fitness"
etc etc etc

I think most of us like to sit when we are tired and we are used to sitting more than we are used to standing but I'm scared of my body's composition changing so much that metabolic syndrome kicks in. The articles about how even exercising an hour a day can't combat straight up sitting are scary too.

What's a person to do short of becoming a forest ranger ?

Most of us don't have standing desks or walking treadmills so it really is a conscious effort to move during the day.

Ideas for Standing more

1. If you commute, try to stand instead of sit. If you have to drive, I realize this isn't an option but if you take the train, avoid the temptation of grabbing a seat since you will be sitting the rest of the day.

2. Take every opportunity to grab water or stand up and grab something from the printer. I turned down a printer at my desk so that I would be forced to walk to the printer. Even if standing up feels like an interruption to your work flow, your health will thank you for it.

3. Allow yourself to fidget. I'm naturally restless and fidgety and if you have a cubicle like I do or you can fidget without distracting others around you, then by all means let yourself fidget!

4. Volunteer to help carry install ink on a printer, deliver files, and chat with people in person instead of on the phone.

5. Take a lunch time walk or 5 minutes in the morning and afternoon to walk around the block . It clears your head and prevents you from sitting.

6. This is a stranger idea, but you can always do squats, jumping jacks, or run in place in an empty conference room, bathroom, or empty spot in the office. You might find it more fun, knowing someone might spot you exercising in an unusual spot!

7. See if there is an ergonomic department or wellness department that will support employees that want to find alternatives to sitting all day. This could mean converting an office into a room with a few yoga mats and some free weights.

I already use ideas 1-5 but I will give 6 and 7 a try later this week!
Let me know what you try!

PS-
Here is a graphic about how sitting kills you!


No comments:

Post a Comment