Monday, May 9, 2011

NYPL visit

In anticipation of the Find the Future game, I took the library building tour with a bunch of other eager Find the Future players. It was actually my first time going into the Steven Schwarzman Library (the big iconic one in Bryant Park) and I realized I really should have gone sooner!

We had an awesome tour guide who couldn't speak very loudly so she had a very endearing come hither motion whenever she wanted us to come closer. I learned the entrance,the Astor Room, was made entirely of marble. Also learned that the library has the original Winnie the Pooh animals and a copy of the first Gutenberg Bible in the US. More iconic items will be on display in a few weeks because the library is celebrating 100 years!
More about the 100 years here


The main reading room was also really impressive! I loved the sky murals and the high ceilings! I was so tired after the one hour tour that I managed to take a short nap on one of the reading room tables :) In San Francisco, they are very good at kicking you out if you fall asleep in the library so I guess NYC has a different policy or they are understaffed.


No comments:

Post a Comment