Saturday, May 14, 2011

Shout out to Regina!

Yes, that's me!
So my colleague sent me an email with the subject line
"Like to give a shout out to regina"

The email contained a link to an article about how social support at work led to a decrease in all causes of death. Interestingly, social support from supervisors had no impact on the risk factors for death.

I can say many things about my job but one thing I do enjoy is the social support I get at work. It makes sense that if you don't enjoy the people you spend time with for at least 8 hours, 5 days a week, your health will take a hit.

You hear many places talk about culture and it is mentioned again and again in presentations as you decide to apply for a job, during the interview, and then you. finally. get. to. the. workplace.

Now, culture means something. I finally understood what the big to do about culture once I realized it boiled down to fitting in.

You need to choose a workplace where the gap between who you are and who succeeds is very small.

How can a tree grow in the wrong soil? That's the analogy I think best describes a company's culture. The wrong soil can't help a great tree grow.

Here is the study about how social rejection is physically painful
and here is the article about good social support


1 comment:

  1. very interesting for me who just started a job!! so far I feel comfortable and like my colleagues, because they all seem friendly and helpful...I definitely think atmosphere at work is veeery important too..

    ReplyDelete