Monday, April 18, 2011

Fear is the mind-killer

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

Anyone else recognize this quote? I read some sci-fi classics during my youth and the quote comes from Frank Herbert's Dune series. I can go into the themes of the plot some other time but even years later the "litany against fear" is one of the really striking features of the series.

I wanted to write about fear because I'm subscribed on an online magazine called Fear.less (latest issue is here) that features stories of a wide range of people who have overcome fear. I've read only the first article of the April issue but it is about a guy who started an org called Wine to Water which raises money for clean water through fundraising at different bar or wine related events.

I aspire to contribute an article to Fear.less someday!


No comments:

Post a Comment