Friday, April 15, 2011

Seitan= kaofu

Back to a more lighthearted post!

I never knew that vegans relied not just on tofu but also on seitan. I actually had no idea what seitan was (it is some sort of wheat gluten) and what it would resemble but after going on wikipedia.org I realized I had been eating a version of it my whole life!
Kaofu is this dish. Very frequently eaten as a cold appetizer in Shanghainese cooking.
It is a savory dish with some sweetness.

My colleague loves seitan so I had to try these seitan skewers today at a vegan restaurant I was persuaded to try.

These seitan skewers in chimmichurri sauce smelled and tasted good! Kaofu is marinated throughout so I would have preferred that that whole skewer be better marinated but I enjoyed the texture and the sauce a lot. It does have a texture that is reminiscent of meat.

My friend and I also decided to share a platter of 4 sides and 2 sauces. The standouts were the spicy peanut sauce (which I vow to replicate) and their version of cornbread was good too. I think its odd to eat tofu that is unmarinated (I think you can see a theme in my food preferences) but grilled tofu tasted good and the spicy peanut sauce was a great addition.


I'm going to be happy to report to my colleague on Monday that I was pleasantly surprised vegan food could be very filling and tasty.


2 comments:

  1. i eat vegan food at my temple every time i go and it usually great :) i love vegan viet egg rolls and i've also had some really goof vegan duck. when you come back we can go to one of my fav vegan places to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice! I've always wanted to but never tried seitan! Hard to get here...I feel like you have a very balanced diet with lots of variety!

    ReplyDelete