Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Getting your emails read

Roughly a month ago, I came across an interesting and useful post by Fred Wilson, a venture capitalist based in NYC, titled "How to Get Your Emails Read." The original link is here.

I receive emails from current Smith students and also send out emails to people I don't know so I was definitely curious to know how someone who probably gets hundreds of emails a day determines which emails to read.

From what I can tell, it starts with having a compelling subject line. Personally, I I'll open the email when the subject line

1. Has a specific request/action/update
2. References where we met/what it is that connects us
3. Wildcard attempt

Number two, referencing how we met/why there is a connection, is the subject line I receive most often and use most often. I've personally successfully used "TFA Conference-- Asian Women's Leadership University" to follow up with people after a conference. I've also used "From one Smith alum to another" or "Hello from a Smithie" to reach out to alums and have opened emails to me with "Smith Student seeking your Career Advice" in the subject line.

I can't think of a recent example where I had to reach out to someone new with a very specific request/action/update in the subject line but reading Fred Wilson's post, he uses the example of "Twitter board date change" and says "that double works. Portfolio company name plus very descriptive."

The third type of subject line is the most fun. I usually use it when the person is a complete stranger and a long shot. I usually reference the project in the subject line or the latest attempt that has worked for me is to use that person's quote in the subject line. I hope they recognize their own quote and the extra effort on my part to find it.

Reaching out to someone through email is the most common way that I follow up with people I meet in person. Next week, I will share some tips on email content.

No comments:

Post a Comment